Results of the summer window in England. The worst club in the league now has spent the most – Arsenal
The transfer window slammed shut in England. Premier League clubs spent € 1.19 billion on 103 permanent deals, the lowest in six years. The peak was in 2017 – € 1.73 billion. A year ago, the clubs of the English “tower” laid out 1.52 billion. The pandemic, as expected, reduced the budgets of the clubs.
Arsenal, now the worst club, spent most of all – Londoners paid € 182.53 million for six players. They are followed by Manchester United (155.6 million) and Manchester City (117 million). In the top five are Chelsea and Aston Villa, which have 113.5 and 108 million, respectively.
- Most expensive Premier League transfers:
- Chelsea released 29 players, but took Lukaku and Saul
- Manchester United armed with stars: finished saga with Sancho transfer and returned Ronaldo
- Manchester City did not close the problem position, but spent 117 million
- Liverpool signed only Konate
- Liverpool’s top transfers – internal reserve:
- Crystal Palace launched the rejuvenation process
Most expensive Premier League transfers:
- Jack Grealish , € 117m, from Aston Villa to Manchester City;
- Romelu Lukaku , 113.5 million, from Inter to Chelsea;
- Jadon Sancho , 85 million, from Borussia Dortmund to Manchester United;
- Ben White , 58 million, from Brighton to Arsenal;
- Rafael Varane , 40 million, from Real Madrid to Manchester United.
Aston Villa (€ 117 million) and Chelsea (110 million) are the leaders in terms of sales. Eight clubs at once did not earn anything on transfers – either rent or released for free. Brentford, Burnley, Crystal Palace, Everton, Leeds, Leicester, Newcastle and West Ham all finished the transfer window with zero after sales earnings.
Five clubs are positive in terms of transfer balance: Watford earned € 6.4 million, Norwich – 7.1 million, Aston Villa – 8.1 million, Brighton – 21 million and Southampton – 29 , 1 million
Finding out who has issued the best transfer window in the Premier League.
Chelsea released 29 players, but took Lukaku and Saul
Chelsea was active in this window on all fronts: both in terms of sales (29 players were released, including leases) and inbound transfers (fourth in terms of spending). The dissolution of such a number of players has significantly relieved the payroll.
According to insiders, the club’s transfer targets for the summer were Erling Holland , Declan Rice and Jules Kunde . Lukaku was signed instead of Holland, Rice was replaced by Saul (lease with the right to purchase for 35 million), but Sevilla did not put the squeeze on. Although the slot for Kunde was freed – West Ham took Zuma for £ 29.8 million. The Spanish club wanted 80 million compensation, which is spelled out in the contract, but Chelsea offered only 50 million.
On the defensive side, Chelsea are doing well: Andreas Christensen , Antonio Rüdiger , Malang Sarr , Thiago Silva and Trevo Chalobah , who looks the best this season. Plus Cesar Azpilicueta and Rhys James can come out on the right in the top three . There were also promising Fikayo Tomori and Mark Guei , who had a powerful lease last season, but Chelsea sold them – earned € 51.4 million.
Manchester United armed with stars: finished saga with Sancho transfer and returned Ronaldo
Jadon Sancho was led for several years, the purchase of Varan was a success (on paper, it is ideal as a pair to Harry Maguire ), Tom Heaton was signed as the third goalkeeper. But the main transfer is the return of Cristiano Ronaldo 12 years later. The poster is amazing, but there are nuances:
- Solskjaer will have to build into the team a player who does not work out without the ball. Plus, Manchester United just found a balance in positional attacks: Paul Pogba on the left flank and Bruno Fernandes perform the functions of creation with high quality. This is not a panacea, but the dynamics are positive;
- Manchester United’s priority is at the forefront – Erling Holland , which was not possible to pick up right now. Ronaldo is already 36 years old, so in a year or two the club will have to re-enter the transfer market for a striker. Jurgen Klopp commented on the case : “It is not for me to judge this. This is not an investment in the future, it is now and immediately. “
- You can use Ronaldo as the only striker at 4-2-3-1, but Cristiano doesn’t like this position, so this option is for three or four games a season.
Manchester United closed all positions, except for the center of the field. First choice Solskjaer on opornika position – Declan Rice , but the “West Ham” demanded impossibly high 117 million was another variant. Eduardo Kamavinga of “Rennes”, but the midfielder moved to the “Real” for 35 million if. Scott Maktominay hold a season without serious injury then Manchester United will force Chelsea and Manchester City to fight for the trophy. Fred’s incapacity was clearly demonstrated by the match with Wolverhampton.
Manchester City did not close the problem position, but spent 117 million
Josep Guardiola said in the spring that City did not have the funds for high-profile transfers. A couple of weeks later, Jack Grealish moved to Etihad for 117 million and became the most expensive footballer of the summer. Along the way, MC was preparing the transfer of Harry Kane , but Tottenham requested $ 150 million.
Manchester City signed the coolest footballer for the position of the left eight, but did not close the main one – the striker. The club started the season without a profile finisher and stumbled in the first round with Tottenham: they created three chances to score, but failed to convert a single one. A prime example is the Ferran Torres episode in the middle of the second half. Now it is his Guardiola strumming in this position.
If Torres begins to qualitatively convert the chances that Kevin De Bruyne and Grilish will create in large numbers , then City will make another leap forward. In this case, the absence of the transfer of the striker is more of a plus: they saved a lot of money, revealed the player.
Liverpool signed only Konate
Two years ago, Liverpool signed only two juniors and two reserve goalkeepers, but gave a phenomenal season: scored 99 points and brought City to the finish 18. Then the experts also sounded the alarm, nevertheless, Klopp confirmed the thesis: large spending does not guarantee the result …
Now the situation is similar. Liverpool closed the main hole – the center of defense, having discharged Ibrahim Konate from Leipzig back in the spring for € 40 million. Now the club’s defense looks like a real monolith – there are four top options in two positions at once: Virgil van Dyck , Konate, Joe Gomez and Joel Matip …
Liverpool’s top transfers – internal reserve:
- Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain and Naby Keita have recovered , having 23 matches for two in the championship last season;
- The contracts of Alexander-Arnold, Fabinho, Alisson, Van Dyck, Robertson and Henderson have been extended – the backbone will remain in place. The Wijnaldum story will not repeat itself;
- Plus Thiago, who moved to Anfield last summer, should integrate into Klopp’s system and reach a new level.
There are still questions for the attack. Klopp has three offensive positions at the disposal of Mane, Salah, Firmino and Jota. In January, during the African Cup of Nations, Liverpool will have to play with the Jota-Firmino-Elliot troika. If one of them crashes, you will have to use Takumi Minamino and Divoka Origi, who do not pull the level of the leaders of the Premier League. Even 16-year-old Kaidi Gordon looks more interesting.
Jorginho Wijnaldum left Liverpool as a free agent, but the club did not notice: 18-year-old Elliot started the season well and jumped into the Klopp system. The only caveat for Elliot: how long will he keep this bar?
Crystal Palace launched the rejuvenation process
Last season, the average age of Crystal Palace players was 29.4 years – the oldest in the championship. They were followed by Burnley (28.6) and West Ham (28). Palace started the current championship with the squad, whose age was rejuvenated by almost two years – 27.7.
“We need rejuvenation, we need young players. I am absolutely confident that the management will make the right decisions, ”- this is how Roy Hodgson described the prospects a year ago.
Plus, Crystal Palace was one of the five Premier League clubs in terms of the share of salary spending – the club laid out 75% of its annual turnover to pay for the services of Benteke, Sako and other veterans.
And in the summer there was a serious upgrade: Palace released nine older players with fat contracts and signed the youngsters. Guie (21), Joachim Andersen (25), Conor Gallagher (21), Michelle Olise (19) and Odsonne Edouard (23) all have to cheer up the team. Of the older purchases, only midfielder Will Hughes (26) and goalkeeper Remy Matthews (27), who came in a total of $ 6 million.
Palace has an excellent lineup in every line. Even the deficit striker’s position was closed in the last hours – Edouard was taken from Celtic for 18 million, who in the last three seasons in Scotland put 55 goals in the championship.
If you evaluate the summer of “Palace” in the context of the implementation of the plan for high-quality rejuvenation, the club issued a benchmark window. The only weak point is head coach Patrick Vieira , who was replaced by Roy Hodgson . It is not yet clear what kind of football he is building.